For Professor / Associate Professor
1 The Selection Committee
The Committee responsible for the culling and selection process consists of:
- Vice Chancellor (as Chair)
- Pro Vice Chancellor
- Dean, Research & Post Graduate Studies
- Director, IDCE
- Executive Dean
- Strand Co-ordinator
- Nominee of the School, normally from within the discipline.
- Three Professors of whom:
- One may be external to the University, and normally from the relevant discipline area;
- One will be from a discipline and a School other than that to which the appointment is being made;
- One will normally be from within the School, and in a discipline closely related to that to which the appointment is being made.
2 Advertising and Culling
2.1 Normally the staff requisition and advertisement is raised and processed by the Dean in consultation with the Vice Chancellor and Pro Vice Chancellor.
2.2 The Selection Committee is responsible for the total process from culling to selection.
2.3 The Selection Committee will be advised by:
- Two Professors with an international reputation in the discipline to which the appointment is being made.
- The staff of the School. This advice is to be sought and presented to the Selection Committee by the Executive Dean, Strand Co-ordinators and nominee of the School acting as a sub-committee. Normally this advice will be in the form of a recommended short-list.
2.4 The Selection Committee’s decision on the applicants to be interviewed will be final, and will be taken after consideration of the School’s recommendation.
3 The Interview
3.1 The interview process will consist of:
- A formal presentation to staff of the University by each applicant. A formal evaluation of the presentation will inform the Selection Committee.
- A formal interview by the Selection Committee. The decision of the Selection Committee will be referred to the University Staffing Committee for ratification and forwarding to Council.
3.2 Normally, the decision of the Selection Committee is final, except where it can be demonstrated to the University Staffing Committee, that proper process has not been followed.